Liberation: REVIEWS & CHART PERFORMANCE

I'd do it all again and won't think twice...
DevotionHURTS DC
2019 VIP
2019 VIP
Reactions:

January 18th, 2019, 8:09 am

XLove wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 1:41 am
I'd be curious to know what the business strategy is behind releasing multiple 'buzz' singles vs releasing a solo single.

Personally I believe that it is a strategy to see what sticks... Or to have people listen to what a new album sounds like.

Either way, it works the same, people may eventually listen to something they like and make a purchase.
With more integrity than the entire music business combined ♥ Prettier than Rihanna ♥ Better singer than Yonka ♥ More iconic than Britney ♥ Edgier than P!nk ♥ More influential than JT ♥ Simply, effortless

Trolls can go and fuck themselves
RingTheAlarm
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

January 20th, 2019, 1:12 pm

XLove wrote:
I'd be curious to know what the business strategy is behind releasing multiple 'buzz' singles vs releasing a solo single.

My best guest as someone in marketing:

Multiple "buzz" singles = total budget split on promoting 2-3 songs, low-budget videos, lyric videos, social media reach, etc.
Solo single = total budget spent on one song - music video, radio payola, spotify payola, etc.

Seems RCAncient went with the buzz singles route which works well with current artists with large, dedicated fanbases but with Christina's small (comparatively) social media following, they should really be forking over the money to add her to the MAJOR playlists to expose her to a wider audience. 
Dżarvis
Reactions:

January 20th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Multiple buzz singles is pro-streaming strategy. She did some partnerships with Apple Music, Spotify etc. so she had every song released featured in some of their playlists. She was featured on Spotify's New Music Friday 5 times instead of perhaps one with the traditional single release. I think that knowing that there is no budget for real promo having many buzz singles keeps the excitment between the fans going.
DevotionHURTS DC
2019 VIP
2019 VIP
Reactions:

January 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm

RingTheAlarm wrote:

XLove wrote:

Multiple "buzz" singles = total budget split on promoting 2-3 songs, low-budget videos, lyric videos, social media reach, etc.
Solo single = total budget spent on one song - music video, radio payola, spotify payola, etc.

Seems RCAncient went with the buzz singles route which works well with current artists with large, dedicated fanbases but with Christina's small (comparatively) social media following, they should really be forking over the money to add her to the MAJOR playlists to expose her to a wider audience. 

Considering the fact that artists don't sell as much as they used to years ago, I don't think that we will ever see that old strategy ever again.

We should start getting used to the fact that streaming killed sales in general (both physical and digital)...
With more integrity than the entire music business combined ♥ Prettier than Rihanna ♥ Better singer than Yonka ♥ More iconic than Britney ♥ Edgier than P!nk ♥ More influential than JT ♥ Simply, effortless

RingTheAlarm
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

January 20th, 2019, 8:43 pm

DevotionHURTS wrote:

RingTheAlarm wrote:

Considering the fact that artists don't sell as much as they used to years ago, I don't think that we will ever see that old strategy ever again.

We should start getting used to the fact that streaming killed sales in general (both physical and digital)... 

I disagree... I think there is value in putting all of your efforts into one huge hit single after a period of flopping: J.Lo - On the Floor, Mariah - We Belong Together. It revitalizes your career and makes you current again for a bit. I mean if Christina had a monster hit this era, she probably could have booked an amphitheater tour.

Outside of fans who follow her on social media, the general public had no idea Liberation even happened.
DevotionHURTS DC
2019 VIP
2019 VIP
Reactions:

January 20th, 2019, 8:51 pm

RingTheAlarm wrote:
January 20th, 2019, 8:43 pm

DevotionHURTS wrote:

I disagree... I think there is value in putting all of your efforts into one huge hit single after a period of flopping: J.Lo - On the Floor, Mariah - We Belong Together. It revitalizes your career and makes you current again for a bit. I mean if Christina had a monster hit this era, she probably could have booked an amphitheater tour.

Outside of fans who follow her on social media, the general public had no idea Liberation even happened. 

Of course I would love her to have a WW top 3 again! That would be fantastic!

However, the rules have changed. Digital and physical sales don't count as much anymore. If she wants a hit, she needs to win the streaming game.

How will she do so? I do not know. It will take some time for legacy acts to crack that one out.

amoaxtina
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

January 22nd, 2019, 7:34 pm

Liberation 90 M streams :music: :music:

Gabriela Tafur, Señorita Colombia 2019 
@gabrielatafur
https://www.instagram.com/gabrielatafur/?hl=es-la
peggyboo69
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

January 22nd, 2019, 7:38 pm

yey! The album is too good to go over the heads of the GP, sad. 
Sapphire
2019 VIP
2019 VIP
Reactions:

January 22nd, 2019, 10:47 pm

that 90 M streams is worldwide or just US?

even for US only it still only converts like 6,000 copies
Birds of Prey
2019 VIP
2019 VIP
Reactions:

January 23rd, 2019, 1:07 am

Sapphire wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 10:47 pm
that 90 M streams is worldwide or just US?

even for US only it still only converts like 6,000 copies

WW and it converts to 60,000 copies.
xtina10
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

January 23rd, 2019, 1:09 am

150k not bad.
Considering this past week's number one album in the US got around 850ish pure sales!!!
DevotionHURTS DC
2019 VIP
2019 VIP
Reactions:

January 23rd, 2019, 11:23 am

xtina10 wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 1:09 am
150k not bad.
Considering this past week's number one album in the US got around 850ish pure sales!!!

We do not know if those sales apply to the US alone, but WW (including digital sales) Liberation should be around 320K.

Physical copies alone, she is close to 300K.

amoaxtina
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

January 23rd, 2019, 12:15 pm

i think Liberation is almost 300K in total world sales
Gabriela Tafur, Señorita Colombia 2019 
@gabrielatafur
https://www.instagram.com/gabrielatafur/?hl=es-la
moralistic
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

January 26th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Saw this on reddit

DevotionHURTS DC
2019 VIP
2019 VIP
Reactions:

January 26th, 2019, 10:43 pm

moralistic wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 9:21 pm
Saw this on reddit

Loved it! It was a nice critique.

I disagree on Accelerate. It is a good buzz single.

DevotionHURTS DC
2019 VIP
2019 VIP
Reactions:

January 26th, 2019, 10:48 pm

DevotionHURTS DC
2019 VIP
2019 VIP
Reactions:

January 26th, 2019, 10:49 pm

DevotionHURTS DC
2019 VIP
2019 VIP
Reactions:

January 26th, 2019, 10:50 pm

DevotionHURTS DC
2019 VIP
2019 VIP
Reactions:

January 26th, 2019, 10:51 pm

DevotionHURTS DC
2019 VIP
2019 VIP
Reactions:

January 26th, 2019, 10:57 pm

love&music
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

January 29th, 2019, 1:11 am

300K WW NOT THAT BAD, with promo it could be at 1M WW.
enzoseb
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

January 30th, 2019, 11:45 am

300K WW is super good tbh. FIL is the only real single and it's not like it got a lot of radio airplay. Come tru X. 
Birds of Prey
2019 VIP
2019 VIP
Reactions:

January 30th, 2019, 11:31 pm

Come y'all I love her to bits but 300k is not IT for an artist of her caliber. She deserves better. Yes, 300k WW is not bad for any other artist, but this is Xtina. She should be at 500k-700k WW by now.

I guess if you count the fact that she had no singles that charted, had virtually zero airplay, and did nothing but one-week of American promo this era, then the sales are OK at best given that the album basically sold itself/off her name alone. But these aren't numbers Fighters should be getting used to. She keeps on declining commercially with each album and I hope that trend ends with her next era. The real success of this album/era was its acclaim: GRAMMY noms, critics praise, and tour praise.
DevotionHURTS DC
2019 VIP
2019 VIP
Reactions:

February 2nd, 2019, 11:42 am

One lucky stan!

BYC #LikeIDo
M O D
M O D
Reactions:

February 2nd, 2019, 12:02 pm

DevotionHURTS wrote:

One lucky stan!

He truly had the best week ever :icant:
COME ON, RAIN!
kunst
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

February 2nd, 2019, 1:00 pm

BYC wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 12:02 pm

DevotionHURTS wrote:
One lucky stan!

He truly had the best week ever :icant:  

If you can get past his creepy duck lips. I can't.
Hocus Pocus
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

February 2nd, 2019, 6:32 pm

Disappointing pure sales & streams in US. It's such a shame this is her lowest selling album. At least, it got 2 Grammy nominations (again what a shame it was ignored for Best Pop Vocal Album).
I Put a Spell on You
love&music
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

February 3rd, 2019, 2:34 pm

Hocus Pocus wrote:
Disappointing pure sales & streams in US. It's such a shame this is her lowest selling album. At least, it got 2 Grammy nominations (again what a shame it was ignored for Best Pop Vocal Album).

Thats her fault. She could have picked TWICE or UNLESS as singles, perform it on ELLEN, SNL, GMA and be more visible, if the grammys nominated LIKE I DO they could have nominated a solo song if she cared....

At this point is all her fault, Irving just booked M5 and Big Boi for the SuperBowl, Irving put GWEN everywhere during 2 holiday seasons for her Xmas album.
DevotionHURTS DC
2019 VIP
2019 VIP
Reactions:

February 3rd, 2019, 3:16 pm

love&music wrote:

Hocus Pocus wrote:

Thats her fault. She could have picked TWICE or UNLESS as singles, perform it on ELLEN, SNL, GMA and be more visible, if the grammys nominated LIKE I DO they could have nominated a solo song if she cared....

At this point is all her fault, Irving just booked M5 and Big Boi for the SuperBowl, Irving put GWEN everywhere during 2 holiday seasons for her Xmas album.

Based on what we've seen so far from The Xperience, it looks as if Liberation was used just as a way to bring her back to the charts and GP's eyes...

All the money is being used for the Vegas Residency. I am not mad about it, I just hope it is profitable enough so she may continue investing in music, PVs, etc.

Dżarvis
Reactions:

February 3rd, 2019, 4:29 pm

DevotionHURTS wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 3:16 pm

love&music wrote:

Based on what we've seen so far from The Xperience, it looks as if Liberation was used just as a way to bring her back to the charts and GP's eyes...

All the money is being used for the Vegas Residency. I am not mad about it, I just hope it is profitable enough so she may continue investing in music, PVs, etc.

Well, congrats to her and her team then I guess since it clearly didn't work out. But I still refuse to believe that they would be that stupid. I think that she is not the one paying for Vegas shows realisation and that the promo actually makes sense because it's organised by people who organise her entire residency (not her team of experts) and want to earn some good money on it.