Liberation, the new album by Christina Aguilera.

Discuss Liberation, one track at a time.
Desperado
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 14th, 2018, 5:30 pm

I need her to stay in contact with Che Pope and Anderson Paak. I am so in love with this record.
TheVoice
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 14th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Ragnarsson wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 3:12 pm
We waited. We waited. And then we waited some more. Six years went by. Six years is an eternity, especially in pop music. How do you come back from that? How do you address such a hiatus? How does an album live up to the hype built up during more than half a decade? Liberation is Christina's long overdue answer to those questions. And what an answer it is.

The album opens with the title track, Liberation, a beautiful, bittersweet instrumental introduction that keeps building up and adding more instruments and dramatic layers throughout. And then she speaks. "Where are you? Are you there?" - these are the first words uttered by Christina in her comeback album. Right away, she introduces the main theme for the album - she lost her way and she wants to reconnect, to find herself. At the end, she cryptically says "remember".

The instrumental fades away and we go back in time, to Christina's childhood. Searching for Maria, track #2, is a subdued acapella rendition of The Sound of Music's iconic track, Maria. The original song is happy, cheerful. Christina's rendition, however, is anything but that. It's sad, it's somber, it's vulnerable. She is searching for something she lost - herself. Her voice echoes and fades at the end, just as we enter track #3, Maria.

Maria is a highlight. This is Christina directly addressing her absence and the last six years. She lost herself and she is desperately calling out to herself. "Where, where, where is Maria? Why, why, why don't I see her?". The song itself is stellar, with some of the most powerful lyrics she ever belted out and an underlying amazing production: this song has everything you didn't know you needed, from Christina's desperate cries, a Jackson 5 sample, stirring violins, a relentless bass, discreet vocal harmonies, to a somber, quieter ending section, more akin in tone to the intro that preceded it. "Don't run away", Christina quietly pleads at the end. What exactly led her to this?

In the following track, Sick of Sittin', she starts to answer that question while, at the same time, freeing herself from the shackles that bound her. Christina is literally "sick of sittin'", she is tired of "fake shit" and she "doesn't need it anymore". As you probably can surmise, it seems directly and fully addressed to her stint on The Voice - she seems to feel like The Voice took a huge creative, personal toll on her and made her lose her spark. The song, from beginning to end, just doesn't let go - this is Christina venting her rage, belting her pent-up anger away. The song is classic rock, through and through, for better or worse - some people may find it a bit repetitive, personally I find it cathartic.

The next couple of tracks give us another insight into her mindset, and complement the previous track's answer. Track #5, Dreamers, is a cute interlude, with little girls just stating their dreams and goals. Once again, Christina goes back to the theme of "childhood". What follows is track #6, Fall in Line, featuring Demi Lovato. Christina right away directs the song at those "little girls", who are just like her, and she asks them to "listen closely". Besides being a very strong female empowerment anthem, it also refers to her career - she wasn't made to fall in line, she wasn't meant to be just another cookie-cutter popstar, used and abused by the powers that be. She won't sing what others want or expect her to. She has "the right to speak [her] mind", and she wants everyone to know that - especially all those growing up, who may not feel as empowered as she does. Fall in Line is a classy, timeless pop anthem, sung by two amazing vocalists who just give it their all. Another standout track in this album.

In the first six tracks, Christina went deep into her mindset and purged all the bad feelings that she was building up inside her. Having liberated herself from those chains, she now needs to reclaim her artistry, to reconnect with "Maria"... and to have fun making some great music. Right Moves, track #7, coming right after Fall in Line, is the first step towards that reconnection. Featuring Keida and Shenseea, it's a reggae sounding track, with Caribbean vibes, and it's a very fun, chill, sexy song. It's not one of my personal favorites, but it's still a cool track nevertheless.

Like I Do, track #8, is another playful, amazing track. Featuring GoldLink, it's an infectious song, with an intoxicating beat and some of the most self-confident lyrics ever sung by Christina. That little laugh at the end and the adlibs throughout really hit home how much she is enjoying the creative process. One of the album's highlights, personally.

Deserve, track #9, is a nice song - it's the first one in this album that, given its themes, could have been played straight as a ballad. However, Christina doesn't go there, she is having too much fun playing with different sounds and textures and once again she does exactly that. Deserve has an addictive, dreamlike quality to it. MNEK's vocals also add to that feeling, only being there as an "echo" of sorts. The more I listen to it, the more I appreciate it. A ballad, however, comes right after, to wash away our sins. Twice, track #10, is a redemption song of sorts. Christina comes to terms with everything that's happened to her in this amazing, stripped-down ballad, as she finds emotional liberation.

At first, one may find I Don't Need It Anymore's placement weird. However, this interlude seems to be a final statement of sorts: she is finally there, creatively. She found herself. She's "alive again". "Can you feel it?". And oh boy, are we about to feel it. Accelerate, track #12, featuring Ty Dolla $ign and 2 Chainz, is one of the most daring pop songs created this decade. It's different, it's catchy, it's weird as fuck, it's fun, it's the very definition of creative liberation, it's just full of life. One of this album's best songs.

The next track, is another creative and artistic departure. In Pipe, track #13, a song featuring the mysterious XNDA (probably Lewis Hamilton), Christina is exploring other vocal textures, putting that amazing mixed register of hers to great use. It's probably the sexiest song in the album. Another grower. Masochist, the following track, like Deserve, could have been another simple, formulaic ballad, but Christina once again refuses to go there. The production is simple but gives it "something" special. Good song.

And finally, we arrive at Unless It's With You, track #15. We've been hearing about this song for quite some time... but honestly, who could have imagined it would be this good? It's one of the most beautiful songs Christina's ever recorded. Beautiful arrangement, amazing vocals, heartfelt lyrics... it moves me to tears almost every single time. I'm listening to it as I write this and it's just such a powerful statement that once again tears are running down my face. At the end of the day, love is Liberation, Liberation is love. It's the most obvious and beautiful finisher for an album about finding oneself.

All in all, this is one of Christina's best albums - right up there with Stripped and Back to Basics. She is back, y'all... she really is back...
Girl submit this shit to Metacritic.
Check out my Liberation Reaction Vid :fan:
https://youtu.be/KgM5lJMiG2o
Fusée Jaune
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 14th, 2018, 5:40 pm

TheVoice wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 5:34 pm
Ragnarsson wrote:
We waited. We waited. And then we waited some more. Six years went by. Six years is an eternity, especially in pop music. How do you come back from that? How do you address such a hiatus? How does an album live up to the hype built up during more than half a decade? Liberation is Christina's long overdue answer to those questions. And what an answer it is.

The album opens with the title track, Liberation, a beautiful, bittersweet instrumental introduction that keeps building up and adding more instruments and dramatic layers throughout. And then she speaks. "Where are you? Are you there?" - these are the first words uttered by Christina in her comeback album. Right away, she introduces the main theme for the album - she lost her way and she wants to reconnect, to find herself. At the end, she cryptically says "remember".

The instrumental fades away and we go back in time, to Christina's childhood. Searching for Maria, track #2, is a subdued acapella rendition of The Sound of Music's iconic track, Maria. The original song is happy, cheerful. Christina's rendition, however, is anything but that. It's sad, it's somber, it's vulnerable. She is searching for something she lost - herself. Her voice echoes and fades at the end, just as we enter track #3, Maria.

Maria is a highlight. This is Christina directly addressing her absence and the last six years. She lost herself and she is desperately calling out to herself. "Where, where, where is Maria? Why, why, why don't I see her?". The song itself is stellar, with some of the most powerful lyrics she ever belted out and an underlying amazing production: this song has everything you didn't know you needed, from Christina's desperate cries, a Jackson 5 sample, stirring violins, a relentless bass, discreet vocal harmonies, to a somber, quieter ending section, more akin in tone to the intro that preceded it. "Don't run away", Christina quietly pleads at the end. What exactly led her to this?

In the following track, Sick of Sittin', she starts to answer that question while, at the same time, freeing herself from the shackles that bound her. Christina is literally "sick of sittin'", she is tired of "fake shit" and she "doesn't need it anymore". As you probably can surmise, it seems directly and fully addressed to her stint on The Voice - she seems to feel like The Voice took a huge creative, personal toll on her and made her lose her spark. The song, from beginning to end, just doesn't let go - this is Christina venting her rage, belting her pent-up anger away. The song is classic rock, through and through, for better or worse - some people may find it a bit repetitive, personally I find it cathartic.

The next couple of tracks give us another insight into her mindset, and complement the previous track's answer. Track #5, Dreamers, is a cute interlude, with little girls just stating their dreams and goals. Once again, Christina goes back to the theme of "childhood". What follows is track #6, Fall in Line, featuring Demi Lovato. Christina right away directs the song at those "little girls", who are just like her, and she asks them to "listen closely". Besides being a very strong female empowerment anthem, it also refers to her career - she wasn't made to fall in line, she wasn't meant to be just another cookie-cutter popstar, used and abused by the powers that be. She won't sing what others want or expect her to. She has "the right to speak [her] mind", and she wants everyone to know that - especially all those growing up, who may not feel as empowered as she does. Fall in Line is a classy, timeless pop anthem, sung by two amazing vocalists who just give it their all. Another standout track in this album.

In the first six tracks, Christina went deep into her mindset and purged all the bad feelings that she was building up inside her. Having liberated herself from those chains, she now needs to reclaim her artistry, to reconnect with "Maria"... and to have fun making some great music. Right Moves, track #7, coming right after Fall in Line, is the first step towards that reconnection. Featuring Keida and Shenseea, it's a reggae sounding track, with Caribbean vibes, and it's a very fun, chill, sexy song. It's not one of my personal favorites, but it's still a cool track nevertheless.

Like I Do, track #8, is another playful, amazing track. Featuring GoldLink, it's an infectious song, with an intoxicating beat and some of the most self-confident lyrics ever sung by Christina. That little laugh at the end and the adlibs throughout really hit home how much she is enjoying the creative process. One of the album's highlights, personally.

Deserve, track #9, is a nice song - it's the first one in this album that, given its themes, could have been played straight as a ballad. However, Christina doesn't go there, she is having too much fun playing with different sounds and textures and once again she does exactly that. Deserve has an addictive, dreamlike quality to it. MNEK's vocals also add to that feeling, only being there as an "echo" of sorts. The more I listen to it, the more I appreciate it. A ballad, however, comes right after, to wash away our sins. Twice, track #10, is a redemption song of sorts. Christina comes to terms with everything that's happened to her in this amazing, stripped-down ballad, as she finds emotional liberation.

At first, one may find I Don't Need It Anymore's placement weird. However, this interlude seems to be a final statement of sorts: she is finally there, creatively. She found herself. She's "alive again". "Can you feel it?". And oh boy, are we about to feel it. Accelerate, track #12, featuring Ty Dolla $ign and 2 Chainz, is one of the most daring pop songs created this decade. It's different, it's catchy, it's weird as fuck, it's fun, it's the very definition of creative liberation, it's just full of life. One of this album's best songs.

The next track, is another creative and artistic departure. In Pipe, track #13, a song featuring the mysterious XNDA (probably Lewis Hamilton), Christina is exploring other vocal textures, putting that amazing mixed register of hers to great use. It's probably the sexiest song in the album. Another grower. Masochist, the following track, like Deserve, could have been another simple, formulaic ballad, but Christina once again refuses to go there. The production is simple but gives it "something" special. Good song.

And finally, we arrive at Unless It's With You, track #15. We've been hearing about this song for quite some time... but honestly, who could have imagined it would be this good? It's one of the most beautiful songs Christina's ever recorded. Beautiful arrangement, amazing vocals, heartfelt lyrics... it moves me to tears almost every single time. I'm listening to it as I write this and it's just such a powerful statement that once again tears are running down my face. At the end of the day, love is Liberation, Liberation is love. It's the most obvious and beautiful finisher for an album about finding oneself.

All in all, this is one of Christina's best albums - right up there with Stripped and Back to Basics. She is back, y'all... she really is back...
Girl submit this shit to Metacritic.
But seriously!
٩◔‿◔۶
wellokaythen
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 14th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Ragnarsson wrote:

Wow, what a great post, so in-depth and well written. t4p!!!!! :)
wellokaythen
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 14th, 2018, 5:45 pm

Ragnarsson wrote:
And oh boy, are we about to feel it. Accelerate, track #12, featuring Ty Dolla $ign and 2 Chainz, is one of the most daring pop songs created this decade. It's different, it's catchy, it's weird as fuck, it's fun, it's the very definition of creative liberation, it's just full of life. One of this album's best songs.
Perfect description of Godcelerate. Stan a bit! :shook:
AS
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 14th, 2018, 6:51 pm

Just heard the full album... wow :shook:
SparklingRose Diva
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 14th, 2018, 7:08 pm

I'm listening to it at last. Holy fuck. Maria is everything.
Andreita
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 14th, 2018, 7:50 pm

After listening 10 times i can say that this is absolutely HER BEST ALBUM. I'm so so proud of her!!.

Xtina, i never doubt you, and after all this years being your stan i'm witnessing this day. The day that FINALLY the world can realize the tremendous artist that you are. Since this day you can rightfully be refered as the BEST FEMALE POP ARTIST EVER.
Notthingham
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 14th, 2018, 8:41 pm

I just finished playing the album again, on Spotify... and it's so weird how much it flew by.

I was like: Unless It's With You, ALREADY??
Lorehn
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 14th, 2018, 8:43 pm

Popping back in to say I actually wish the bit she was saying at the beginning and end of "Where is Maria?" was on the album. :( maybe it could have been an ending interlude.
Fighter // Little Monster // Lanatic // Rihanna Army // Animal // Hooligan // XO Crew
[and more]

Section C, Row J, Seat 115
:love: smile, cry later. :love:
(don't worry about tomorrow)

I do custom avis, just message me!
disneyfied
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 14th, 2018, 11:46 pm

Really really great album. I listened to it first on my laptop and thought it was great but then I started listening with my good speakers and it is legit blowing my mind. The production! HER VOCALS! My goodness!
VixenRose
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 15th, 2018, 1:01 am

beto wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 1:50 am
9/10

stripped and back to basics have company now.
Her holy trinity.
X6 - the urban legend since 2014.
on june 15th X6 was finally upgrated to excisting status and we were all Liberated from anticipating and speculating
Melissa
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 15th, 2018, 1:32 am

I am blow away. Only song I am not fully into is The Right Moves. So happy to finally hear new 🎶. I am off to sleep. Cannot wait to play the shit out of it tomorrow 😁!!!!!
fijiwater
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 15th, 2018, 3:52 am

I am so emotional tbh

As someone who became a fan around the time Burlesque was released, I've never gotten to experience a complete Xtina era. I remember being so disappointed by Lotus, especially since I loved Debut/Stripped/Back to Basics/Bionic and Burlesque so much.

After 7 years of being a fan and feeling late to the party, I'm so glad I get to bask in the glory of LIBERATION in real time, not as a throwback or retrospective.
disneyfied
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 15th, 2018, 6:54 am

Just woke up and listening to Liberation again first thing and I love it even more. What an album! It's amazing how fearless Christina is with her voice and music. This album has so many risky songs but she not only makes them all work individually and all work together. It's just so amazing :tellmemore:
kylie jenner
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 16th, 2018, 4:35 am

Cant stop listenning i dont skip one fuckin song.. being kinda short makes it better
10/10
Foxxy
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 16th, 2018, 4:54 am

I couldn't ask for more from her. I'm so happy, Liberation is literally perfect. The wait was the worst, but it was so worth it. I can't even properly express my feelings, because it's something more than just a music from your favorite artist. It's not only the music that it's back, it's HER. Finally it's HER. It's her vision, she's doing what she wants and I'm so happy for her. And I'm grateful for being able to witness it.
Nix
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 16th, 2018, 6:49 am

Very happy with the album. Worth the wait, she came through after Lotus. Her most cohesive and consistient album to date. It may not hit as many highs as Stripped/B2B/Bionic, but on the other hand it doesn't feature some clearly awful/weak tracks like those 3. Very impressed, very pleased, the artist I fell in love with is BACK!!! :love: Such a great album!
Enter The Circus
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 11:21 am

Anyone have a theory on why she put "I Don't Need It Anymore" where she did? :scratch:
KahC
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Enter The Circus wrote:
June 18th, 2018, 11:21 am
Anyone have a theory on why she put "I Don't Need It Anymore" where she did? :scratch:
Whatever was keeping her from moving forward for the last 9 years is what she doesn't need anymore. I do think thats the great Liberation, she is praising that.
KahC
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 4:58 pm

I LOVE this album, its mature, its well produced, it has a narrative, its has a concept, but still Stripped B2B and Bionic my favorites.
MAMACITA bae
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 19th, 2018, 12:50 am

Ozzy wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 3:03 am
“Liberation” is the wrong name for this album. This should be titled “Searching for Maria” or simply “Maria”
I agree completely.
MAMACITA bae
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 19th, 2018, 12:52 am

I changed the album's tracklist and I am learning to enjoy it more and more. I am a very basic Top 40 bitch, so R&B is not really my cup of tea so it is going to take me a bit longer to completely be able to digest and see the masterpiece that yall are seeing. That said, I am REALLY enjoying the album in the order I re-arranged it to be.

1. Searching for Maria
2. Maria
3. Twice
4. Deserve
5. Masochist
6. Liberation
7. Fall In Line
8. I Don't Need It Anymore
9. Accelerate
10. Pipe
11. Like I Do
12. Right Moves
13. Unless It's With You

I left Dreamers and Sick of Sitting unnumbered so they are still in my library, but I don't listen to them Gol.
MAMACITA bae
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 19th, 2018, 12:55 am

fijiwater wrote:
June 15th, 2018, 3:52 am
I am so emotional tbh

As someone who became a fan around the time Burlesque was released, I've never gotten to experience a complete Xtina era. I remember being so disappointed by Lotus, especially since I loved Debut/Stripped/Back to Basics/Bionic and Burlesque so much.

After 7 years of being a fan and feeling late to the party, I'm so glad I get to bask in the glory of LIBERATION in real time, not as a throwback or retrospective.

Ugh I understand the feeling. I am really chill and enjoying the era for what it is. Couldnt agree more with everything you said.
VixenRose
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 19th, 2018, 9:12 am

I've been listening (streaming) this album pretty much all the time since its release. It such a perfectly solid album, even the songs I don't enjoy that much fit to the storyline of the album and the big picture.

It was 100% worth the wait.
X6 - the urban legend since 2014.
on june 15th X6 was finally upgrated to excisting status and we were all Liberated from anticipating and speculating
Andreita
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 22nd, 2018, 12:55 am

When i thought that Liberation couldn't get better i listened in .flac format with pro headphones and it is MAGIC EXPERIENCE!! I mean it guys... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

(Of course "Dreamers" on loop 24/7 on my cell :angel: )