15. Unless It's With You

Discuss Liberation, one track at a time.
AS
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 16th, 2018, 9:06 pm

Hocus Pocus wrote:
June 16th, 2018, 9:01 pm
AS wrote:
June 16th, 2018, 8:29 pm
UIWY for clubs? Gurl :ziggy:
ikr? lmao

not another ballad getting a remix treatment
That YLM remix for radio still pains me... We don't need that for UIWY.
Antonio
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 16th, 2018, 9:06 pm

AS wrote:
Antonio wrote:
June 16th, 2018, 7:22 pm
Best song of the album. What we need is a nice cute video and a remixed version for clubs and we will get a top 10.

RCA DON'T FUCK IT UP.
Gurl, haven't you heard those 2 on the radio? The club remix was al over radio, this is a crossover song. Xtina has a chance with this.

DNNY
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 16th, 2018, 10:40 pm

It's a gorgeous track and it can become a signature song of hers, but I kinda don't want it to be released as a single just yet
Madonna / Beyoncé / Róisín Murphy /Grimes / St. Vincent / Years & Years / Arcade Fire/ Björk / Florence + the Machine/ twenty one pilots/ Halsey / Queens of the Stone Age / Christina Aguilera
Butterfly
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 17th, 2018, 12:06 am

DNNY wrote:
It's a gorgeous track and it can become a signature song of hers, but I kinda don't want it to be released as a single just yet
I'd be fine with it being released as the last single after Deserve and Masochist.
Butterfly
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 17th, 2018, 8:24 am

This is the song out of all in the album that sticks on my head, such a beautiful melody and the vocals are sublime.
XtinasMinx
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 17th, 2018, 8:51 am

Should definitely be a single. Could be huge
DNNY
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 17th, 2018, 9:38 am

Butterfly wrote:
DNNY wrote:
I'd be fine with it being released as the last single after Deserve and Masochist.
I'm here for it closing the Liberation era tbh :icant:
Madonna / Beyoncé / Róisín Murphy /Grimes / St. Vincent / Years & Years / Arcade Fire/ Björk / Florence + the Machine/ twenty one pilots/ Halsey / Queens of the Stone Age / Christina Aguilera
Thainus
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 17th, 2018, 9:45 am

Maybe with the right promo, with the right video, and the right timing, it could be a great single.

But just not now in summer. Let's keep it for last, and release it in winter.
Luv2LuvUxxx
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 17th, 2018, 11:12 am

Yeah they definitely shouldn’t release it now. Keep it for September/October after pushing Like I Do for the summer
DanielO
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 17th, 2018, 5:38 pm

Ragnarsson wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 9:00 am
This is one of the most beautiful songs I've had the pleasure of listening to. For the first time in years, I'm actually crying while listening to a record. It's a timeless song, with very simple, poignant lyrics, and some of her career's best vocals. It's a perfect finisher for the album, not just in terms of sonority, but thematically speaking too.

Back to Basics ended with "The Right Man", also a song partly about marriage, also written and recorded during a relationship, a beautiful song in its own right, but with a darker message overall: it deals with one's past and the way you're defined by it. Yeah, she found the right man, but the song is hardly about him; it's mainly a song about her father. Even the final chords are somber and dissonant, as if saying that things are still not totally resolved.

In a way, "Unless It's With You" feels like the perfect answer to "The Right Man". It's a ballad just about Christina and Matt. It's gorgeous, it's heartfelt... and it's thematically relevant. Throughout the record, she experiments with different kinds of liberation - musical freedom, sexual expression, female emancipation. And this song is about the ultimate form of liberation - love. Genuine, unconditional love. Love is scary, love makes you think about stupid shit, but when you love someone and you're loved in return... you're liberated.

"The Right Man" was about the past. "Unless It's With You" is about the future. And that's why I'm sobbing like a baby listening to this, that's why I immediately sent the lyrics to my boyfriend. And that's why this is one of her career's best songs.
Beautifully said! There really is something magical about it, something that makes it more than just a great love song. I've never been in anything like the situation the song describes, but she puts it across so powerfully, so beautifully, that I'm moved to tears all the same. That's what makes her a great artist.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

- H. L. Mencken
StopIt!
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 17th, 2018, 11:55 pm

This could be her All Of Me, she should release this out now and change the course of Liberation. VMAs are coming in the summer, if we can get a simply yet solid well-rehearsed performance where she sticks to the melody of the song I think that can benefit her.

This song gets better with every listen. I love it.
StopIt!
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 17th, 2018, 11:56 pm

DanielO wrote:
June 17th, 2018, 5:38 pm
Ragnarsson wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 9:00 am

"The Right Man" was about the past. "Unless It's With You" is about the future. And that's why I'm sobbing like a baby listening to this, that's why I immediately sent the lyrics to my boyfriend. And that's why this is one of her career's best songs.
Beautifully said! There really is something magical about it, something that makes it more than just a great love song. I've never been in anything like the situation the song describes, but she puts it across so powerfully, so beautifully, that I'm moved to tears all the same. That's what makes her a great artist.
THIS. I dont relate to the song on a personal level but the song can stand on it's own and I appreciate it for what it is.
Thaddeusmaximus
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 12:09 am

I think it's one of her best songs of ALL time. It is vocally and compositionally FLAWLESS. I think that if it gets pushed as a single, it needs to be the final single off the album, but it's everything that made Christina the icon she is today.
KahC
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 12:33 am

Thats the part I don't agree. I really don't think Unless Its With You its about Matt. She does not believe in married, we get that. For some reason Jordan was able to make her feel that maybe the concept of married could work for her, for them. He asked, she except, a year later she was Mrs. Bratman. She thought she could break the pattern, she could break free from the chains she created to protected herself, cause the exemple that she had of men and commitment only showed her that it brought pain. It doesn't work. Its not worth, its better to be alone than go through that. So what do I do ? I take the control to myself. Always a step behind. Always having walls around me. She gave herself to someone, till a point. Jordan changed the game. She wilily gave up the power, the control. Everyone that was around that Era saw the effect of that, we have a whole album about that. Control sure is secure, but its a have height to care on. And usually when the woman has all the control in the work invariant, at home having someone to share or to take care of you, its comforting. Father role? Freud? Hey? Jordan seemed to be pretty much an Alfa man, it made a lot of sense to me the relationship. Bionic was FULL of hints that the married was not okay. Actually, since 2008 right after Max birth if you were looking for it, there were rumours that they were going through problems. I chose to ignore what was in our faces. The discurse is the same that she bring in this song. About change to please the one you love, She was not willing to do it anymore with Jordan. I never understood, nor got in what way she meant it. She seemed to be hurt about how he play the passive aggressive game with her. Isolating her when she did him wrong, so she would and do what he wanted, till she didn't.

"I was scare, I was unprepared, for the things you said",
"And it's not pretty the way you criticize me, and how it breaks my heart..."
"Your voice is like a knife, It used to make me cry, Your tried to cut my pride. not this time..."

So you see the is something that keep on coming?

"I've been thinking a lot about the way that people change
The most beautiful beginnings can go down in flames
It's inevitable, and that's what's got me so afraid
I'd rather be alone"

Ok. I have no idea the real reason for the break up. She takes the blame to herself as well, like a adult she is, she knows that hardly is only one person blame when two people give up each other.

"If I could undo that I hurt you
I would do anything for us to make it through

How can I erase decisions I've made?
How do I go back? What more can I say?
All that remains, our hearts filled with shame
Then how do we say "we're sorry"?
How do we say "we're sorry"?"

Blanke Page is the most bizarre music in Lotus...It shows regrets for having giving up on them? And implies she still waiting for him so they can be one again? At least that was my interpretation, that makes no sense whatsoever.

Twice is a huge (?) for me. It could be about her relationship with the industry/fame? Yeah, but if is it not ?

"That the worst I won't undo
Only enemy I have in love is you
Well, you're no angel
I never asked you to be
You're my danger 'cause that's just what I need
But it still hurts me"

It fits with the little puzzle.Well..My puzzle.

Now back to the music and why I don't think its about Matt. Matt is safe. Matt represent safety. He is easy, comfortable. Is there anything wrong about that? Not really, its just the way it is. BUT, she is back to control mode, she is back to step behind mode, she is back to walls around her mode. Matt is not an exception to that rule. I see her as the Alfa of the relationship, not him. I don't think married would be an option to her, if it wasnt something important to him. I think he wanted a title, he is the father of her child, they've been together for years now, he wanted to feel stable? Fiancé is more than Boyfriend. But 4 years of engagement and no marriage. "I don't wanna get married, Unless its with you" till now, this you is not Matt, this you is the idea of someone that turns you upside down, that you even consider doing something you thought you didn't wanted. And you indeed didn't wanted, but with this person, I'm willing to go through this journey. That was the discussion she was having with the producer of the music, right?

Anyway, Until now, the only person she said yes, lets go for it, with you I see myself doing it, was Jordan.(Or probably I know NOTHING and just lost a significant amount of time here writing nonsense about people I don't even know. Its just a thought, don't take it seriously, please)

I think its pretty clear that I adore Jordan, Jordan/Christina still one of my favorites couples, but Im not Matt hatter, I have some critics, but I also can see all the good things he brings to the table, I just think over all, the smile was larger in J era, but fuck my opinion she is the one living her life. She is a bad ass woman runs her life, who can do whatever she wants and do what makes sense to her, pleases her. KEEP ON DOING YOUUUU, XTINA!

English is not my first language and I didn't re-read what I wrote, so sorry for the mistakes that you found here, and If some idea came across a little strange or whatever, excuse my English!
DevotionHURTS GOLDEN
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 19th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Beautiful song. Beautiful message. I want it to be a single. One of her best songs. I would dare say up there with MOM and LMU.
Prettier than Rihanna ♥ Better singer than Yonka ♥ More iconic than Britney ♥ Edgier than P!nk ♥ More influential than JT ♥ Simply, effortless
Nix
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 20th, 2018, 4:39 am

Dem bridge guitar riffs.... This song sounds like a classic on first listen already and only gets better each time :cry:
Thainus
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 20th, 2018, 6:04 pm

AS wrote:
Antonio wrote:
June 16th, 2018, 7:22 pm
Best song of the album. What we need is a nice cute video and a remixed version for clubs and we will get a top 10.

RCA DON'T FUCK IT UP.
Christina got a Billboard Hot Dance Club #1 with "You Lost Me", at literally the lowest in her career.
She can definitely get a hit with the right remix.
bionocDied4UrSins
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 22nd, 2018, 9:47 am

the worst part of this song is that Lotus Intro plays immediately afterwards :fan:
DNNY
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 22nd, 2018, 3:24 pm

this song could work as a late summer, early fall release tbh :love:
JusTina
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 23rd, 2018, 4:11 am

Lovely song, definitely...
It doesn’t matter to me which song would be the next single as long as we get like 3 more with videos and promo tbh
Elbaz2001
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 24th, 2018, 6:52 pm

This song needs to be heard by everyone :tellmemore:
lamb
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 25th, 2018, 12:30 pm

StopIt!
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 25th, 2018, 2:13 pm

KahC wrote:
Thats the part I don't agree. I really don't think Unless Its With You its about Matt. She does not believe in married, we get that. For some reason Jordan was able to make her feel that maybe the concept of married could work for her, for them. He asked, she except, a year later she was Mrs. Bratman. She thought she could break the pattern, she could break free from the chains she created to protected herself, cause the exemple that she had of men and commitment only showed her that it brought pain. It doesn't work. Its not worth, its better to be alone than go through that. So what do I do ? I take the control to myself. Always a step behind. Always having walls around me. She gave herself to someone, till a point. Jordan changed the game. She wilily gave up the power, the control. Everyone that was around that Era saw the effect of that, we have a whole album about that. Control sure is secure, but its a have height to care on. And usually when the woman has all the control in the work invariant, at home having someone to share or to take care of you, its comforting. Father role? Freud? Hey? Jordan seemed to be pretty much an Alfa man, it made a lot of sense to me the relationship. Bionic was FULL of hints that the married was not okay. Actually, since 2008 right after Max birth if you were looking for it, there were rumours that they were going through problems. I chose to ignore what was in our faces. The discurse is the same that she bring in this song. About change to please the one you love, She was not willing to do it anymore with Jordan. I never understood, nor got in what way she meant it. She seemed to be hurt about how he play the passive aggressive game with her. Isolating her when she did him wrong, so she would and do what he wanted, till she didn't.

"Your voice is like a knife, It used to make me cry, Your tried to cut my pride. not this time..."

I'd rather be alone"

Ok. I have no idea the real reason for the break up. She takes the blame to herself as well, like a adult she is, she knows that hardly is only one person blame when two people give up each other.

Blanke Page is the most bizarre music in Lotus...It shows regrets for having giving up on them? And implies she still waiting for him so they can be one again? At least that was my interpretation, that makes no sense whatsoever.

Twice is a huge (?) for me. It could be about her relationship with the industry/fame? Yeah, but if is it not ?

Well, you're no angel
I never asked you to be
But it still hurts me"

Now back to the music and why I don't think its about Matt. Matt is safe. Matt represent safety. He is easy, comfortable. Is there anything wrong about that? Not really, its just the way it is. BUT, she is back to control mode, she is back to step behind mode, she is back to walls around her mode. Matt is not an exception to that rule. I see her as the Alfa of the relationship, not him. I don't think married would be an option to her, if it wasnt something important to him. I think he wanted a title, he is the father of her child, they've been together for years now, he wanted to feel stable? Fiancé is more than Boyfriend. But 4 years of engagement and no marriage. "I don't wanna get married, Unless its with you" till now, this you is not Matt, this you is the idea of someone that turns you upside down, that you even consider doing something you thought you didn't wanted. And you indeed didn't wanted, but with this person, I'm willing to go through this journey. That was the discussion she was having with the producer of the music, right?

Anyway, Until now, the only person she said yes, lets go for it, with you I see myself doing it, was Jordan.(Or probably I know NOTHING and just lost a significant amount of time here writing nonsense about people I don't even know. Its just a thought, don't take it seriously, please)

I think its pretty clear that I adore Jordan, Jordan/Christina still one of my favorites couples, but Im not Matt hatter, I have some critics, but I also can see all the good things he brings to the table, I just think over all, the smile was larger in J era, but fuck my opinion she is the one living her life. She is a bad ass woman runs her life, who can do whatever she wants and do what makes sense to her, pleases her. KEEP ON DOING YOUUUU, XTINA!

English is not my first language and I didn't re-read what I wrote, so sorry for the mistakes that you found here, and If some idea came across a little strange or whatever, excuse my English!

BITCH YAS!

Jordan should have fought harder to get her back. Xtina was at her best with him but did he cheat? was that her final straw as YLM indicated? but man, Jordantina was slaying left and right. Xtina has never seemed happier during as she did during B2B
sharktale
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 25th, 2018, 9:05 pm

This is the best song on the album, should have been the 1st single.
KahC
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 26th, 2018, 2:35 pm

StopIt! wrote:
June 25th, 2018, 2:13 pm
KahC wrote:

I'd rather be alone"

Well, you're no angel
I never asked you to be
But it still hurts me"

BITCH YAS!

Jordan should have fought harder to get her back. Xtina was at her best with him but did he cheat? was that her final straw as YLM indicated? but man, Jordantina was slaying left and right. Xtina has never seemed happier during as she did during B2B
HEEEEEEY! <3 ahhahaha

Dont't think he cheated on her. You have to understand that Sia started to writing You Lost Me by herself, when Christina came along there were already versus of the song written by Sia , the concept of the song was Sia's, so the idea of cheating was already there, Christina said she wrote the chorus, and I assume maybe they wrote the rest of the song together. I think he did disappointed her, but not by cheating. I have a lot of guesses about that topic, but Im sure theres not one person to be blame for the divorce, they both are to blame.

She was very happy during B2B era, she idealised this relationship too much during that time, and I do believe thats one of the problem, when you put too much exception on something/someone and of course, the expectation can't be sustained forever, when things started to go wrong, it hurts even more, cause you weren't prepare for that, and you didn't see the relation for what it really was.

I really love Jordantina, I miss my favorite couple, I miss that positivity, and I miss that smile.
saintbx17
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 27th, 2018, 2:37 am

I agree with poster who said UIWY isn't about Matt. I think Matt represents stability and comfort for Christina and that's about it. Of course could be and probably am totally wrong. But it doesn't feel right to be about him.
JCBARRAGAN
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 28th, 2018, 9:36 am

I love this song so much! In my personal opinion, this one of Christina's finest and timeless recordings ever, and the best closing track on Christina's catalogue. The production, the lyrics, the vocal performance, and the universal appeal.

Just breathtakingly beautiful!
KahC
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 28th, 2018, 4:52 pm

saintbx17 wrote:
June 27th, 2018, 2:37 am
I agree with poster who said UIWY isn't about Matt. I think Matt represents stability and comfort for Christina and that's about it. Of course could be and probably am totally wrong. But it doesn't feel right to be about him.
Yes, that’s what I said, I could be completely wrong about that I wrote, but that’s the impression I got the I listen to UIWY. I just don’t feel the song is about Matt, or at least not about him specifically.
XtinaDaily
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 29th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Amazing song!