3. Maria

Discuss Liberation, one track at a time.
Enter The Circus
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 17th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Lord wrote:
June 16th, 2018, 1:04 am
Enter The Circus wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 11:17 pm
THAT BASS HITS SO. FUCKING. HARD.

Can you imagine jamming out to this in the live concert? :shook: :shook: :shook:
When the beat kicks in

Kanye did that.
:shook:
Thaddeusmaximus
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 12:06 am

This is such an incredible song. It induces chills. SO good.
CC
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 12:21 am

After what must have been the 100th listen, I went to actually listen to the Michael Jackson song. And then I realize how fucking epic this song. I hear so much more, with the ‘you keep on running away’ in the background. It’s so freaking genius.

The whole ‘Hear my plea for sympathy’ isn’t in the original Michael Jackson song right? Can I assume it’s some sort of vocal manipulation?
KahC
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 12:40 am

HANDS DOWN THE BEST SONG OF THE ALBUM, AND THE ONE TO CONGRATULATE FOR THAT ITS KANYE. Yes, I said it. The song wouldn't have half of it impact if wasnt it production. That what made a song into THE SONG. First verse of MJ sing and you're sold. Completely. And if you can get all the references, why MJ, why MJ as a child and all of that, it very impressive. Kanye is very questionable guy, to say the least? Yeah, but the guy knows how to do what he does very well.
Raf
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 8:31 am

Come on harpsichord!!!

Camtina2
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 8:58 am

Am I the only who hears the guitar riffs at the end of the song when she starts to delicately sing "don't run a way no, don't run away no...." ?

It kinda sounds like an old 60s rock record in the background. You have to turn it all the way up tho. It's chilling when coupled with her lower tone. The ONLY the taking away from this song is the fact that I can't hear it lol. But it sounds EPIC. Like you have to be REALLY listening to it to hear it. If kanye had left that part in and added one more verse of her saying "don't run away no" whisperingly; it would have neck and neck with sick of sittin as my fav.
magnolia
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 3:14 pm

This is my favourite song on the album!! It's amazing!!
Desperado
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 3:35 pm

CC wrote:
June 18th, 2018, 12:21 am
The whole ‘Hear my plea for sympathy’ isn’t in the original Michael Jackson song right? Can I assume it’s some sort of vocal manipulation?
He sings it at 2:23 in the song
SPM
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Do we know what she sings at 0:31?

Nothin’ is free (??)
I wanna breathe (??)

Lyrics sites keep posting “ouchea”. WTF does that mean?
Enter The Circus
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 7:47 pm

SPM wrote:

Nothin’ is free (??)
I wanna breathe (??)

:funny: it’s an urban slang way of saying “out here”
SPM
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 8:10 pm

Enter The Circus wrote:
June 18th, 2018, 7:47 pm
SPM wrote:

Nothin’ is free (??)
I wanna breathe (??)

:funny: it’s an urban slang way of saying “out here”
Omg I’m so fuckin white. :rip: :rip: Thanks, sis. How embarrassing.
XtinasMinx
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 9:15 pm

I just wish the sample stopped when she sings her first verse -- his words are annoying when I'm trying to hear her.

Otherwise its epic, totally up there with anything off Stripped
Sammi
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 10:11 pm

My only complaint is the bridge? where u hear MJ little beep but gets cut off. Seems messy there and it happens twice.
People shit on her now because they have some sad life and jealousy. Those who celebrate her now are the true winners because you live in the moment and appreciate true beauty and talent while it is still here.
MAMACITA bae
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 18th, 2018, 11:07 pm

KahC wrote:
HANDS DOWN THE BEST SONG OF THE ALBUM, AND THE ONE TO CONGRATULATE FOR THAT ITS KANYE. Yes, I said it. The song wouldn't have half of it impact if wasnt it production. That what made a song into THE SONG. First verse of MJ sing and you're sold. Completely. And if you can get all the references, why MJ, why MJ as a child and all of that, it very impressive. Kanye is very questionable guy, to say the least? Yeah, but the guy knows how to do what he does very well.
Could you educate a sis a bit pls? :tellmemore:
KahC
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 19th, 2018, 12:33 am

MAMACITA wrote:
June 18th, 2018, 11:07 pm
KahC wrote:
Could you educate a sis a bit pls? :tellmemore:

Hey! I can tell my interpretation on his choices. hahha Keep in mind that I can be completely wrong. But anyway, the whole song is about finding Maria. Finding who she once were, but she lost along the way, for the sake of the song she created a persona almost, to make more clear to us the difference between who she was and how she has became. Maria is her without all the walls she created, the castle she chose to live in, that turned against her. Maria is Christina without the mask, without Xtina. So to symbolise that, Maria is her child side, cause we have the image of purity, untouched by the would, when we think about child.

That being said, why MJ? Like her, MJ was a child star, that along the way made de decision to lose touch with people. Neverland is a world for himself. Thats was it. He was his priority. It was his way, or the highway. If you didn't go with his rules, you were out, cause he was the god of his world, that was how he new how to live his life, there was no other way, thats became his reality, and because of that he lost people that TRULY loved him and that he TRULY loved till the end. The problem is, We are not an island, "I am" only make sense when "we are". He was the extreme of what she is singing. The young MJ was long gone. He wasn't able to find himself. Will she ? He is there as an exemplo, as a helper.

In terms of lyric, She wants Maria to answer her, he then is helping her to search for Maria, and he emphasise the importance of Maria, and also emphasises how needy Christina is of her own true self, that she doesn't even truly know who that is, thats why I think Maria isn't coming, isn't answering her calling. Maria aint coming easily. Maria is still being searched. Aguilera is in the fase of reevaluating who she is, when you go through any crises, and you admite the lies that you were living in, sometimes lies that you tell yourself to make life less painful, you have nothing left. What are you then? Its such a scare feeling not knowing who you are, the narrative of yourself doesn't fit. It wasn't true. Starting from 0 and build all over again takes time, its a long painful, confusing time, but most of people stay in the lie, cause they doesn't realize, cause they don't want to, cause its too painful..Many reasons. Proud of her. Cant wait to see who Christina Maria will became. It will be a narrative anyway, cause we all create a narratives for/of ourselves to our protection, but a narrative that makes sense to her thats true to her essence, health to her.
XtinaDaily
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 19th, 2018, 9:55 am

Thainus
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 19th, 2018, 6:59 pm

XtinaDaily wrote:
June 19th, 2018, 9:55 am
I laughed out loud because I just understood that Maria told a big "suck my dick" to the nuns and went to get herself some rich D.
DevotionHURTS GOLDEN
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 19th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Great song. Great message. I just feel they use the sample from Jacksons 5 a bit too much. The song feels a bit saturated in some parts.

Lyrics are some of her best ever. :cry:
Prettier than Rihanna ♥ Better singer than Yonka ♥ More iconic than Britney ♥ Edgier than P!nk ♥ More influential than JT ♥ Simply, effortless
Enter The Circus
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 19th, 2018, 7:47 pm

YourBody1
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 19th, 2018, 9:18 pm

My all time favorite Christina song :shook: finally overtaking the legendary bop Your Body
Raf
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 20th, 2018, 6:16 am

WHERE
WHERE
WHERE IS MARIA?

SpoilerShow
Cersei Lannister ·⚜·♚·⚜·
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 20th, 2018, 7:20 am

This is her Bohemian Rhapsody. For songs like this I did my stan-contract. She is truly an artist. Waaaay above many, many of her peers in that department. She needs to keep the gays (whynot?) and start collecting the urban, hipster audience. Kinda like Beyonce and Rihanna did before. She needs to make it "cool" to listen her songs, and she can do this with songs like Maria. I love her.
Enter The Circus
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 20th, 2018, 10:12 am

YourBody1 wrote:
June 19th, 2018, 9:18 pm
My all time favorite Christina song :shook: finally overtaking the legendary bop Your Body
Hocus Pocus
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 20th, 2018, 2:06 pm

I love it so much!!! Great song, please shoot a music video
I Put a Spell on You
SPM
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 20th, 2018, 4:31 pm

This song is her modern day masterpiece. A watershed moment in her catalog.
Thainus
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 20th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Cersei Lannister wrote:
June 20th, 2018, 7:20 am
She needs to make it "cool" to listen her songs, and she can do this with songs like Maria. I love her.
This.

Unfortunately the general public associates Christina with "Candyman", "Beautiful", "Lady Marmalade", "Genie in a Bottle"... Cool songs, but pop songs, constructed for a certain audience, and not current anymore. If only she had promoted more of her urban and more experimental stuff, history would be so different. People know she can sing her face off but in general she's not recognized for her creative power as she should.

Liberation is the right chance to show the world that Christina can be innovative, urban, and a powerhouse, all in the same album.
Last edited by Thainus on June 21st, 2018, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stripped Fighter
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 21st, 2018, 10:26 am

One of my favorites!!!
SPM
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 21st, 2018, 10:55 am

The flow of Liberation, Searching For Maria, and Maria is FUCKING BRILLIANCE. I can't stop listening to these three tracks in succession and searching for mini SPM somewhere...
horsi
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 21st, 2018, 2:41 pm

SPM wrote:
June 21st, 2018, 10:55 am
The flow of Liberation, Searching For Maria, and Maria is FUCKING BRILLIANCE. I can't stop listening to these three tracks in succession and searching for mini SPM somewhere...
Agree. I consider them one song tbh.
paato
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

June 21st, 2018, 2:47 pm

SPM wrote:

Nothin’ is free (??)
I wanna breathe (??)

OUT THERE sis