✭ ♛ ✭ ROYALS 18 ✭ ♛ ✭The Many Lives of Marilyn Monroe ✭ ♛ ✭

Fine, fresh, feminine, style to eleven...
Raven \V/
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 10:46 am

[center]One of the biggest film icons & sex symbols of all time, Marilyn Monroe's life spans from 1926 to 1962. It's going to be 55 years from her death this year, yet her cultural relevance continues. In this edition, we take a look at her filmography and some of her personal life, with each Royal playing a part from her career.

[mention]THIRD WARD TRILL[/mention] as Rose Loomis in a thriller/mystery, Niagara (1953)

Marilyn made three successful films in 1953, to which the first was Niagara, a glossy thriller which played like a big-budget version of "Don't Bother to Knock" in its story of a seductive but unstable woman who plans to murder her husband (Joseph Cotten), at Niagara Falls. Rose's character was the dangerous vamp, very different from her usual, approachable, unthreatening playfully sexual roles. Most famous scene is Marilyn walking across the cobblestone street. It holds the record for the longest walk in cinema history - 116 feet of film.
[mention]Maleficent[/mention] as Lorelei Lee in musical/comedy, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)

Lorelei Lee is one of Marilyn's most iconic roles. Speaking with Marilyn's signature breathy, baby voice, Lorelei is very charming, somewhat cunning and determined showgirl, who, unlike her friend Dorothy, wants to find a rich man who can provide her lots of diamonds. Diamonds are a center-piece of this film in a way. The signature-song is one of the most imitated and iconic pieces of pop-culture: Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend. Movie was 9th highest grossing film of the year and earned positive reviews, for both Jane Russell and Marilyn. Marilyn as Lorelei is magnetic and entertaining. This is the big hit, that elevated Marilyn as a star and one of her sex-symbol highlights.

[mention]Dani[/mention] as Pola Debevoise in comedy/drama, How To Marry a Millionaire (1953)

Continuing her winning-streak in 1953, Pola is perhaps THE "blonde bimbo" role of Marilyn's. Film is about three model friends living in Manhattan, looking for rich husbands. Pola wasn't cunning or determined, like Lorelei, but provided farce-like moments by crashing into doors and walls because she refused to wear eye-glasses. Well-meaning and silly, she thought they were going to make men deem her unattractive. Marilyn charmed audiences and critics as Pola, getting good reviews. Her co-star Betty Grable - who for the past decade had been Fox's blonde symbol - was so charmed by Monroe that she famously said "go and get yours, honey! I've had mine" to her younger competition.

[mention]Angela Merkel[/mention] as Vicky Hoffman/Parker in the musical/comedy, There's No Business Like Show Business (1954)

Marilyn-highlight of the film is sexy performance, Heat Wave. Marilyn plays Vicky, who's a love-interest of a traveling kabaree-show family's son, Tim Donahue. Unlike in many of her other films from this period, she doesn't appear in all scenes and has less screening time. Proceeding filming, in January 1954, Marilyn had just married baseball star Joe DiMaggio. Couple traveled to Japan for honeymoon. In February, Marilyn visited US army bases in Korea and performed for estimated 100,000 soldiers. Afterwards, she told it was one of the happiest experiences in her life. Joe wasn't happy about it, he was very jealous, so the marriage wasn't off to a great start. Once she returned to US she reluctantly agreed to do There's No Business Like Show Business, in exchange of her next role in The Seven Year Itch.

Raven as 'The Girl', in comedy/drama, The Seven Year Itch (1955)

Story is about a New York husband, who lusts over an upstairs neighbour, Marilyn, when his family is on summer vacation out of town. 'The Girl' is arguably her most iconic role, alongside GPB and HTMAM. Unlike Rose Loomis in Niagara, 'The Girl' is approachable and naivé, completely unaware of her own sex appeal and her effect on men, very much "classic Marilyn".

The famous shot of Marilyn's dress blowing up around her legs as she stands over a subway grating doesn't appear on the film, but was originally shot separately, on Manhattan's Lexington Avenue. The scene on the film is only of her legs, cut with reaction shots, and never shown full-length. Photo of Marilyn in her blowing white dress is one of the most iconic in US and international pop-culture history, as well as one of the most recognizable photos of Marilyn. As a promotional campaign, 52-foot-high billboard of Marilyn, was put in front of Loew's State Theater, in Times Square NYC. The shooting of the blowing dress scene on Manhattan made Joe DiMaggio so jealous and angry, that she attacked Marilyn, both verbally and physically, her covering bruises the next day. Few weeks after, she filed for a divorce.

[mention]Prince Oberyn[/mention] as Elsie, in the comedy/romance The Prince and the Showgirl (1957)

She had married Arthur Miller in 1956. The film was made in England, to which Arthur traveled with Marilyn. It was Marilyn's first film to Warner Bros. studio; a romance/drama about a fictitious nobleman (Laurence Olivier) who falls for a musical actress, Marilyn, which causes much royal intrigue. Behind the scenes, the cast and crew were in awe of Marilyn. Her charm and talent infatuated everyone (except the director). Marilyn however had issues with insecurity and serious imposter-syndrome. She flubbed her lines repeatedly and relied heavily on Paula Strasberg, her dialogue coach. The movie My Week With Marilyn displays some of those behind the scenes events during filming. Marilyn was highly praised for her performance, which got her Italy's top acting honor, the David di Donatello Award. The film itself, however, got lackluster box-office success, and reviews.

[mention]p.Lo[/mention] as Sugar Kane Kowalczyk in Marilyn's most critically acclaimed role & film, comedy/drama, Some Like It Hot (1959)

Some Like It Hot is ranked #117 on IMDb's best movies of all time & the greatest comedy of all time. Marilyn won a Golden Globe for Best Actress of her role. Behind the scenes, the production problems were in epic proportions. Marilyn required dozens of takes for lines of 3 words and was frequently late from the set. Her insecurity as an actress, and drug issues got in the way of acting professionally. Still, the role was a success for her. Entertainment Weekly ranked it 9th best film of all time.

[mention]La Stupenda[/mention] as Roslyn Taber in drama/Western The Misfits (1961)

Arthur Miller, her then husband, wrote the film for Marilyn. It however, did not flatter her at all. In fact, when Marilyn read the script, she was devastated, crying because her husband saw her as ridicculous and pathetic. The film was about a divorced woman, her peak-years behind her, who goes to rescue wild horses with two cowboys. By the time the film had gone into production, Marilyn and Arthur's marriage had gone beyond repair, and the production itself became plagued by her undeniable mental health problems. Other cast members also had serious health problems and after production, Clark Cable died.
Image[/center]
Last edited by Raven \V/ on May 28th, 2017, 8:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
I'm not anti-social, I'm anti-bullshit — Christina Aguilera :suckmydick:
Raven \V/
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 10:46 am

[center]Featuring
[/center]
[center][mention]Martin[/mention] as Nell Forbes in the film noir/mystery, Don't Bother To Knock (1952)[/center]

[center]Image[/center]

[center]
In Don't Bother To Knock, her first major dramatic role, Monroe plays Nell Forbes, a beautiful but suicidal young woman, recently released from a mental institution. She doesn't mention this on her resumé when she takes a baby-sitting job in a posh hotel. As she gets attention from a handsome airline pilot, who has just been dumped by his girlfriend, the handsome bachelor understands the babysitter isn't what she seems. As Nell starts to unhinge, the child's life becomes endangered. Marilyn is most known for her musical comedies, instead of psychologically troubled roles like Nell, but it's worth of watching, 'cause of Marilyn! FYI: before the screen test, Marilyn stayed up for 48 hours straight! What kind of dedication! :eek:  Acting coach, Natasha Lytess helped her prepare for it.
[/center]

[center]Image[/center]
[center][mention]Tina[/mention] as Chérie in Marilyn Monroe Productions comedy/drama, Bus Stop (1956)[/center]

[center]Image[/center]

[center]
Monroe returned to California and began work on Bus Stop, the first of two pictures to be made under her Marilyn Monroe Productions. The film was comedy/drama about naivé and stubborn cowboy who falls in love with a saloon singer and tries to take her away against her will to get married and live on his ranch in Montana. Marilyn's on-screen glamour was reduced considerably for the part - with wardrobe putting her in trashy outfits and garish makeup and hair to essay the part - and critics and audiences alike were impressed with her performance, which earned her a Golden Globe -nomination for Best Actress. Marilyn could not have been more proud, finally feeling like she was proving she was more than blonde hair and big breasts.
[/center]

[center]Image[/center]

[center][mention]Cashmere[/mention] as Ellen Arden in Marilyn's last film, unfinished comedy/drama Something's Got to Give (1962)[/center]
[center]Image[/center]

[center]
Something's Got to Give is a remake-comedy about a woman, believed dead, who reappears in her husband's life on the day he planned to remarry. But by the first day of production in April of 1962, it was clear to all involved, including co-star Dean Martin, that Monroe's participation in the film would be sporadic at best; with various "illnesses" forcing her absence for weeks on end. Surprisingly - the same week she was unable to work on set - she found the fortitude to fly to NYC to perform at a birthday party for President John F. Kennedy at Madison Square Garden in May of that year. Her sultry rendition of Happy Birthday for Kennedy would be her last notable public appearance.
[/center]
Last edited by Raven \V/ on May 26th, 2017, 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dani
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 10:56 am

FLAWLESS sister Raven!!! :love: I'm obsessed with Marilyn, used to be more, but still love her
How To Marry a Millionaire was actually the first movie featuring her I bought :love:
💕
Raven \V/
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 11:00 am

Dani wrote: FLAWLESS sister Raven!!! :love: I'm obsessed with Marilyn, used to be more, but still love her
How To Marry a Millionaire was actually the first movie featuring her I bought :love:

Aw, thanks, sis! :love:  I worked a lot looking for the trivia for it. Pls give thanks because it's love! :kiss: :music:

I actually almost broke the whole thread with too many mentions in one post, or smth, my draft stopped working. :rip: Which is why I divided the OP in two posts, there's so many of us.
p.Lo
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 11:03 am

YESSS, I'm 'Some Like It Hot'!!! You're a legend, Raves :love:
Mal
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 11:05 am

omg!!!!!!! this is so amazing!!!! :cry:
Know first who you are, and then adorn yourself accordingly.
Raven \V/
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 11:07 am

p.Lo wrote: YESSS, I'm 'Some Like It Hot'!!! You're a legend, Raves :love:

:kiss:

I thought with the theater-background and your artisté, it's fitting choice.
Raven \V/
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 11:09 am

Maleficent wrote: omg!!!!!!! this is so amazing!!!! :cry:

Give me thanks, sis! :kiss:

Lovely that you like it, I specifically chose it to you! Put you and Dani kind of similar roles, but you with the more calculating one because I thought you'd appreciate it! :laugh:
London. HOEdon
M O D
M O D
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 11:25 am

Cute thread!
Raven \V/
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Got my interview in print, finally! :love:

Am so successful, yas!  :hillary_cat:
p.Lo
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 1:13 pm

Raven for the Finnish presidency!
Raven \V/
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 1:16 pm

p.Lo wrote: Raven for the Finnish presidency!

:funny:
Dani
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:03 pm

what a shitty day, hold me La Stupenda
💕
Raven \V/
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:07 pm

Dani wrote: what a shitty day, hold me La Stupenda

What's the matter, sis? :tellmemore:
Angela Merkel ♥♣♦♠
'17 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:18 pm

Can y'all believe we're on our 18th edition? :cry:
Mal
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:19 pm

i already have such cute idea for 20th edition, it will be scandalous
Raven \V/
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Maleficent wrote: i already have such cute idea for 20th edition, it will be scandalous

:tellmemore:

Are you gonna surprise us? Or do you wann reveal the theme? :fan:
Dani
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Raven wrote:
Dani wrote: what a shitty day, hold me La Stupenda

What's the matter, sis? :tellmemore:

just some bad news but I'LL SURVIVE

💕
Dani
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:28 pm

Angela Merkel wrote: Can y'all believe we're on our 18th edition? :cry:

we can drink and get into clubs now :slutdrop_cat:
💕
Mal
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:29 pm

Dani wrote:
Angela Merkel wrote: Can y'all believe we're on our 18th edition? :cry:

we can drink and get into clubs now :slutdrop_cat:

not in america tho, flop ass country
Mal
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:29 pm

we can have guns tho
Dani
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:31 pm

:funny:

lets go clubbing and kill each other

💕
Mal
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:33 pm

me

Dani
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:35 pm

me

💕
Mal
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:36 pm

omg i love video games and such, personally am a nerd

anybody played with Heroes- Might and Magic when they were little? :cry:
Mal
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
'18 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:36 pm

or world of warcraft :cry:
Dani
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:37 pm

I only like fighting/racing games
love watching ppl playing the other types tho
💕
Cashmere
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:37 pm

me:

Dani:
this ain't for the best, my reputation has never been worse / so he must like me for me / we can't make any promises, now can we babe / but you can make me a drink
Cashmere
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:38 pm

I only like Pokemon and Zelda. :O
this ain't for the best, my reputation has never been worse / so he must like me for me / we can't make any promises, now can we babe / but you can make me a drink
Dani
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

May 26th, 2017, 2:39 pm

ALOLAN VULPIX :icant:
💕