The Official Demi Lovato Thread #29: #DemonsBreakTheInternet

Cool for the summer (and every other season)...
Kitana ROSALÍA
'17 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 1:26 pm

WalkAway wrote:
September 13th, 2017, 1:15 pm
Tina wrote:
September 13th, 2017, 1:01 pm
I've always been about that life lol. The Fed job has way better flexibility and work-life balance, otherwise, I'd def take this one.
Zero social life sounds like anything in DC. You are in that city but always at work / on call. Sounds like hell. A lot of people there like it to feel like they are important IMO. I guess you could always take it but only for short term to save some cash? Though everything costs more there so the higher salary is reflects that.

Government employees have tons of flexibility; the real downside is that they're paid below their market value. The salary at the consulting firm is fine; when adjusted for cost-of-living, it's roughly the same I would expect to make in Michigan.

There are a few cons if I took the consulting gig: a) long, stressful hours b) burning bridges if I stay less than a year. I prefer the Fed job, but I wouldn't start until January whereas I could start consulting next month.
WalkAway
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Tina wrote:
WalkAway wrote:
September 13th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Zero social life sounds like anything in DC. You are in that city but always at work / on call. Sounds like hell. A lot of people there like it to feel like they are important IMO. I guess you could always take it but only for short term to save some cash? Though everything costs more there so the higher salary is reflects that.

Government employees have tons of flexibility; the real downside is that they're paid below their market value. The salary at the consulting firm is fine; when adjusted for cost-of-living, it's roughly the same I would expect to make in Michigan.

There are a few cons if I took the consulting gig: a) long, stressful hours b) burning bridges if I stay less than a year. I prefer the Fed job, but I wouldn't start until January whereas I could start consulting next month.
Yeah so downside is hellish hours it seems like while still making the same adjusted income. I would probably pick the job you want long term right rather than focus on working two months earlier?
R0K
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 1:31 pm

WalkAway wrote:
September 13th, 2017, 1:12 pm
Razzi X wrote:
September 13th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Still cackling at those PMs! @WalkAway

Lmfao when is the red carpet premiere :icant:

Mystery solved. The Skinny Legend w/ Perfect Tits is visiting LA.[mention]WalkAway[/mention] this likely means she's working with LA based producers recording new @Music! :eek2:

Last edited by R0K on September 13th, 2017, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a telepathic
wasted zombie skinny legend
born in Havana, residing in Malibu
and making no promises in my life.
Kitana ROSALÍA
'17 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 1:32 pm

WalkAway wrote:
Tina wrote:

Yeah so downside is hellish hours it seems like while still making the same adjusted income. I would probably pick the job you want long term right rather than focus on working two months earlier?
I don't plan on staying with the government long-term, but it's amazing in terms of building my programming skills and co-writing scholarly papers. I genuinely liked the work too.

On the other hand, it's a prestigious consulting firm that I've already turned down once :rip: I just don't want to turn it down again and be left with nothing if the gov't job doesn't work out. I won't have a formal offer from them until December.
WalkAway
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 1:37 pm

Tina wrote:
WalkAway wrote:
I don't plan on staying with the government long-term, but it's amazing in terms of building my programming skills and co-writing scholarly papers. I genuinely liked the work too.

On the other hand, it's a prestigious consulting firm that I've already turned down once :rip: I just don't want to turn it down again and be left with nothing if the gov't job doesn't work out. I won't have a formal offer from them until December.
Oh shit didn't know that :icant: I hate job hunting. The absolute worst :icant: The uncertainty always has you second guessing.
KGBCA
'17 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 1:38 pm

Tina wrote:
WalkAway wrote:

Any perks with staying with them long term e.g. paying off your student loans or some sort of pension after you retire?
WalkAway
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

R0K wrote:
WalkAway wrote:

Mystery solved. The Skinny Legend w/ Perfect Tits is visiting LA.[mention]WalkAway[/mention] this likely means she's working with LA based producers recording new @Music! :eek2:

Serve me Young and Live It Up sequels
Kitana ROSALÍA
'17 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 1:42 pm

KGBCA wrote:
Tina wrote:

Any perks with staying with them long term e.g. paying off your student loans or some sort of pension after you retire?

No, it's just a comfy job, but the experience is invaluable. Job security is also a concern. The Fed isn't an appropriated agency and it's hard to fire employees, so the gov't job is actually more stable than consulting :laugh:
Kitana ROSALÍA
'17 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 1:45 pm

WalkAway wrote:
Tina wrote:

Oh shit didn't know that :icant: I hate job hunting. The absolute worst :icant: The uncertainty always has you second guessing.
Am still doing some work for the gov't, but it's barely part-time. Am practically unemployed :icant: and yeah, it's def the uncertainty.

I have two options: 1) a well-paid job with long hours that I can start asap or 2) a modestly-paid job with great flexibility, but nothing solidified in writing yet
WalkAway
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 1:53 pm

R0K wrote:
WalkAway wrote:

WE SHOULD POP MORE CHAMPAGNE THIS YEAR
THAN WE DID LAST YEAR

KGBCA
'17 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Tina wrote:
WalkAway wrote:
Am still doing some work for the gov't, but it's barely part-time. Am practically unemployed :icant: and yeah, it's def the uncertainty.

I have two options: 1) a well-paid job with long hours that I can start asap or 2) a modestly-paid job with great flexibility, but nothing solidified in writing yet

It definitely depends on your risk appetite. The more money, the longer the hours as compared to the modest paying job and work life balance. Are you willing to take the chance that a high paying job could fall through the cracks for a job you are uncertain you may or may not get? Sounds like a rather large gamble. You can also look at your finances and see if you can afford the modest job slipping through the cracks for another couple of months while you look for something else. If the answer is that you couldn't financially do it, I'd take the higher paying job. The worst that will happen is that you make a lot of money, hate your job, and look for something else in a year or two. Remember, millennials change jobs every 3 years, its more common now than ever before.
Kitana ROSALÍA
'17 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 2:08 pm

KGBCA wrote:
Tina wrote:

It definitely depends on your risk appetite. The more money, the longer the hours as compared to the modest paying job and work life balance. Are you willing to take the chance that a high paying job could fall through the cracks for a job you are uncertain you may or may not get? Sounds like a rather large gamble. You can also look at your finances and see if you can afford the modest job slipping through the cracks for another couple of months while you look for something else. If the answer is that you couldn't financially do it, I'd take the higher paying job. The worst that will happen is that you make a lot of money, hate your job, and look for something else in a year or two. Remember, millennials change jobs every 3 years, its more common now than ever before.
Bolded part is my current dilemma, although the people at the gov't verbally told me they'd hire me.

This is all helpful, so thanks. I'm a little worried about the cost of living in DC if I took the job for the gov't; I wouldn't be able to save much of anything. However, the agency appearing on my resume + the connections is unmatched.

I'm just dreading working long hours. They work around 10 hours a day and I was told it's not uncommon for employees to work some weekends :rip:
R0K
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 2:27 pm

I never came to the beach or stood by the ocean
I never sat by the shore under the sun with my feet in the sand
But you brought me here and I'm happy that you did

I am a telepathic
KGBCA
'17 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 2:39 pm

Tina wrote:
KGBCA wrote:

Bolded part is my current dilemma, although the people at the gov't verbally told me they'd hire me.

This is all helpful, so thanks. I'm a little worried about the cost of living in DC if I took the job for the gov't; I wouldn't be able to save much of anything. However, the agency appearing on my resume + the connections is unmatched.

I'm just dreading working long hours. They work around 10 hours a day and I was told it's not uncommon for employees to work some weekends :rip:

I know exactly how you feel. The truth of the matter is that you need to think about the future you want. Not sure how old you are, but at 22, I made the decision that I want to live comfortably and be able to have what I want, whenever I want it. I currently work 8-9 hours a day and some weekends during the month, but in return, I have an awesome benefits package including 21 PTO/Sick Days, great 401K matching, medical benefits/dental, and overall, $$$$. It sucks now, but my future is looking bright. Also just got back from the most fantabulous vacation to Europe ever.

It all comes down to what you want to do. My suggestion is to think about where you want to be in the next 5 years. That always helps and can always be adjusted. When making larger decisions like this, it's always a good thing to plan out. :)
Kitana ROSALÍA
'17 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 2:49 pm

KGBCA wrote:
Tina wrote:

I know exactly how you feel. The truth of the matter is that you need to think about the future you want. Not sure how old you are, but at 22, I made the decision that I want to live comfortably and be able to have what I want, whenever I want it. I currently work 8-9 hours a day and some weekends during the month, but in return, I have an awesome benefits package including 21 PTO/Sick Days, great 401K matching, medical benefits/dental, and overall, $$$$. It sucks now, but my future is looking bright. Also just got back from the most fantabulous vacation to Europe ever.

It all comes down to what you want to do. My suggestion is to think about where you want to be in the next 5 years. That always helps and can always be adjusted. When making larger decisions like this, it's always a good thing to plan out. :)
Thanks! This has all been very helpful :) I'll definitely think about that more today and also look into each of their benefits packages.
R0K
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Tina wrote:
KGBCA wrote:

Thanks! This has all been very helpful :) I'll definitely think about that more today and also look into each of their benefits packages.

Successful phone interview completed. May very well be returning to work for my alma mater by the end of this year.

:shook:
I am a telepathic
KGBCA
'17 Supporter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 4:29 pm

R0K wrote:
Tina wrote:

Successful phone interview completed. May very well be returning to work for my alma mater by the end of this year.

Where did you go to school? What did you graduate with? Good luck on the outcome of your interview! So exciting!!
WalkAway
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 4:31 pm

R0K wrote:
Tina wrote:

BEEEECH you fucking need to get hired by September 29th and get me tickets to the Clem -VT game

R0K
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

KGBCA wrote:
September 13th, 2017, 4:29 pm
R0K wrote:

Where did you go to school? What did you graduate with? Good luck on the outcome of your interview! So exciting!!

Thanks babe. You can be a #stalkerbitch and find out my alma mater from my instagram but I'm not going to post it here lol.
I am a telepathic
R0K
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 4:32 pm

WalkAway wrote:
R0K wrote:

BEEEECH you fucking need to get hired by September 29th and get me tickets to the Clem -VT game

You went to Clemson?

I am a telepathic
R0K
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Me = Brunette
[mention]WalkAway[/mention] = Redhead

I am a telepathic
R0K
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 4:35 pm

OprahAudienceTaco.gif f***ing lost!

I am a telepathic
WalkAway
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

R0K wrote:
WalkAway wrote:

You went to Clemson?

My sister did and I was fully on the bandwagon ten years ago so don't try it. Remember on aLD in 2011 ish we discussed this! Sharting at the complete football reversals since around then. Stay national titleless Hokies tbqfh!

WalkAway
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 4:36 pm

R0K wrote:
Me = Brunette

So about those tickets

R0K
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 4:39 pm

WalkAway wrote:
R0K wrote:

You went to Clemson?

My sister did and I was fully on the bandwagon ten years ago so don't try it. Remember on aLD in 2011 ish we discussed this! Sharting at the complete football reversals since around then. Stay national titleless Hokies tbqfh!

Jokes on you. You can't pay me to watch a football game on television and I haven't watched a football game or attended one in full since leaving Blacksburg.

I am a telepathic
R0K
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 4:40 pm

WalkAway wrote:
R0K wrote:
Me = Brunette

So about those tickets

I was offered free tickets all the time when I worked there but almost 100% of the time I left town to visit my then boyfriend.

I am a telepathic
R0K
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 4:42 pm

I just remembered some hot AF military guy tried to talk to me about college football at the bar at a gay nightclub in DC this past Saturday night and I totally pretended for 15 seconds like I gave two shits - just because I want him naked in my bed.

I am a telepathic
R0K
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 4:43 pm

Just got asked out on a lunch date today by a super hot blonde Real Estate Aryan bttm today.

I am a telepathic
WalkAway
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 4:44 pm

R0K wrote:
September 13th, 2017, 4:40 pm
WalkAway wrote:
So about those tickets

I was offered free tickets all the time when I worked there but almost 100% of the time I left town to visit my then boyfriend.

What the fuck get me free tickets for that game in two weeks and I'll add you on snapchat

R0K
Fighter @ x/RED
Reactions:

September 13th, 2017, 4:44 pm

My workouts must be paying off lately because I've been asked out on dates 5 times this past week.

I am a telepathic